Wednesday 18 June 2014

How forgiving are you?

Are there people like me, who ignores whoever offends them or believes that the extent of offense is directly proportional to the silent treatment the offender will receive? I don't even know how that works but that description is very much who i am  was. I think its a huge problem most especially because its not christainly. TK also observed this trend in me and spoke to me about it and as usual, i was very defensive and was unwillingly to accept his accusation even though i knew he was right.

I remember the last quarrel i had with him, i was so furious and hurt that i went to bed immediately. I couldn't even sleep, i just kept ruminating on how he could say hurtful words and also wondering how i could hurt him as much as he hurt me......yes, that happens....until i slept off. I woke up before my alarm went off the next morning which was a clear indication that there was something on my mind, i got dressed went to work, half into work, i sent him airtime but i still wasn't speaking to him.

Later that evening, he tried to make small talks like asking what i had for lunch and what we were having for dinner but i chose not to respond except he apologized to me but this young man didn't o. He finally gave up trying to talk to me and was paying so much attention to the TV which even made me angrier. I served dinner and he said thank you but i still ignored him.

The next morning, i woke up determined to vent out my anger so i tapped him and made him realize that he really hurt me and when i was done i demanded for an apology. He apologized immediately and we made up like couples do lol. But in retrospect, i knew i wouldn't have forgiven him immediately even if he had apologized to me at that moment he got me upset. To put things into perspective, i simply forgive when i am ready to which is a very bad habit.

Afterwards, i promised TK that i will never let the sun go down on my anger which is God's standard so its good enough. And to the glory of God and shaming the devil, i have been keeping to my promise,this is only because TK reminds me whenever i start ignoring him. Sometimes when he reminds me i say to myself "Oh shit, why did i make this promise". To crown it all, the guest preacher who ministered in our church on Sunday said whoever does not forgive has not received God's forgiveness, that struck me really hard and made me more determined to keep to my promise.

So over to you readers. Do u forgive easily?

9 comments:

  1. I am not sure I am qualified to answer this because I am one of the greatest forgivers you can meet. Once I tell you I don't like what you did, it clears off my mind immediately. I am someone who is driven by passion and emotion, rather than routine, like most people. Once my emotional seat is messed up, I become useless to myself and everyone around me. If I hold a grudge for days, without letting the person know, I can actually run mad.

    I think since you know your weakness, you are already half-way conquering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your spirit, your personality makes it very easy to forgive and move on.

      Delete
  2. Thanks to you, i'm updating in a bit and i'll link to you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad i made you write a post and i am itching to see it!

      Delete
  3. Most times it is not that I don't forgive but my silence most of the time is just to clear the issue out of my mind, once I can forget I can forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just glad that God made His forgiveness of my wrongdoings dependent on my forgiveness of others. That's all the incentive I need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I know is that GOD did not tell us not to be angry ..... but we should sin not, when angry!
    Yes! I do get angry quick, and just as it comes, so it goes! Esp when the person apologizes, I forget about it completely.
    If they are my elders, I keep shut and let time dissipate the anger out of me, which again is not for long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm a forgiver... Once someone apologizes to me, I'm fine. There'll only be problems when the person argues and tries to justify what their actions. That's when things tend to drag on for long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not very forgiving but I'm learning to be better at it everyday :(

    ReplyDelete